~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~


Monday, September 5, 2011

A Warm Kitchen

Told the kids to look after themselves on the weekend, I had a kitchen to do. They did for the most part. I haven't done much to my little house for quite some time. The boys took in turns to get sick and Etsy orders to fill. As well as other general life stuff that gets in the way. But the majority of that was all settled and I sat down and finally put all the bits n pieces I've been hoarding into some use. This side of the kitchen is done for the most part. Need to add a few things here and there. Hanging bunches of herbs, more utensils, tea towels and fire wood. Stuff. The other side will now get my attention. A pretty shelf over the table and a little cupboard to go behind the door for all of Mrs. Thatcham's pots and bowls. It is so nice to see it finally come together. Canned food is just lengths of dowel cut painted silver and printed out labels gluesticked on. The jars of preserves are filled with clear silicone with a drop or two of food colouring and then polymer clay slices pushed in with a toothpick. The muslin tops were off an old quilt. The cotton had worn down so much into lovely soft muslin. Squares lightly glued on the top then very fine gauge wire around to hold. Then trim off the muslin. Had a go at ageing enamel canisters. Now where as scary as I thought.

Looking through the net on how women cooked with open fires I discovered all sorts of cast iron 'technology'. One of which was a swinging plate to cook on directly or to put pots on. I made one up from carboard cirlces glue together to for the plate. Electrical cable bent and glue to another smaller cardboard plate that would be glued to the brickwork. All glued together and painted black it works a treat.

15 comments:

  1. I love your kitchen. It has a lot of interest and warmth. It is a place I would love to sit and drink a cup of tea. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE! It is so beautiful and inviting and realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your minis and your blog are delightful, happy to have 'discovered' you though Daphne's post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I met your blog today and thought it was beautiful! Congratulations for the work, now I'm your follower. If you want to come visit me in Tiny, who is my simple blog, http://pequeninasminnniaturas.blogspot.com/ kisses in the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katherine, Daphne, Norma and Cris -thank you, your comments made my day!!! Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carrie,love your cozy and colorful kitchen,so real details! Miniregards from Spain,Sonia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vous avez su recrée une ambiance où il fait bon vivre!!! C'est très réussi!!!
    Isabelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me encanta su trabajo, havia visto sus platos en Etsy, preciosos
    He descubierto su blog a traves de Daphne, precioso todo, un beso grande y mucha suerte
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carrie! Daphne sent me to your blog through a link on her blog. I really liked your minis. Now I am a follower.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your kitchen is looking lovely Carrie, I could live there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The kitchen is wonderful. I like the details.
    Bye Faby

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! I am so flattered. Sonia, Isabelle, Susi, Eliana and Fabiola, thank you. Sue - I'll put the kettle on shall I! Thank again so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, a cuppa in that cosy kitchen would be just the thing. I'll bring seed cake shall I? Should be appropriate for the era :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi - I too followed the link in daphne's blog to yours and am delighted I did, it's a lovely blog and your work is great. Your kitchen is so realistic (my test of a 'good' miniature scene) and it's also nice to see the work of another Aussie in blogland. I feel I could step into your kitchen and join the others in a cuppa - I'll bring scones. They are also appropriate to the era I think vbg.
    Sandie

    ReplyDelete